ARACON is the longest-running and biggest bunkering conference in the Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Antwerp region. The conference attracts all the main bunker suppliers and barging companies in the ARA and Northwest Europe as well as shipowners and managers from throughout the region. ARACON takes place every autumn in Rotterdam, the biggest port and by far the most important bunkering centre in Europe. The latest conference was hosted in the Hilton Hotel Rotterdam on Thursday 22 and Friday 23 September 2016. Charlotte van Steenderen attended the conference and took part in the panel of maritime lawyers and industry experts on Friday.
Overview of the ARACON 2016 programme:
- Examine the state of the global oil and shipping markets and look at the implementation of the 0.5% global sulphur cap and its impact on fuel quality and availability
- Look at some of the key technical issues in bunker fuel, including developments in fuel specifications, management and measurement
- Analyse the incidence of off-spec fuels globally and locally, and check on developments in improving bunker quality standards within the ARA
- Check on latest developments in LNG bunkering and gas-to-liquids technologies
- Delve into the murky area of debunkering and waste regulation in the Netherlands
- Look at standardising bunker contracts and other regulatory issues
- Advise on doing business with Iran after the ‘lifting’ of sanctions
- Focus on the continuing chaos created by the demise of OW Bunker and attempt to explain how markets might find a long-term solution
- Bring together a powerful panel of maritime lawyers and industry experts to provide useful insight and ‘free’ legal and commercial advice.